Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Coco Ichibanya Jakarta

I never like curry, until the day I met with Coco. 

 
Coco Ichibanya is the largest curry house originating from Japan, they have more than 1300 stores in Japan, China, Hong Kong, Thailand, Singapore, USA, Taiwan and now, Indonesia. Not even sure what took them so long to finally open their first store here in Jakarta, at Grand Indonesia shopping town to be exact.

I've never eat Coco's curry until last Sunday, but the name has been pretty familiar for me, particularly because every time I go overseas to a place where Coco is around, my friends always told me to go to Coco, but I never did. So when Coco is finally here, I went there as soon, and as persistent as I could.

The place is modern minimalist with natural wood furniture and very bright light. I actually took some shots of their interior, but somehow got deleted. =( The service was prompt and friendly. They didn't serve any other main course aside from curry with selections of mix curry, omelette curry, meat curry, seafood curry and vegetable curry. Besides the omelette curry, we can customize the curry by the following steps:

1. Choice of rice size
    150gr (minus 5k), 250gr (standard price), 350gr (add 10k), 450gr (add 20k), 550gr (add 30k).

2. Choice of spiciness
    Mild, standard, or level 1-5 spiciness

3. Choose additional topping


I chose their Chicken cutlet omelette curry (70k) and add 35k to make it a set B (additional of mini salad, drink and dessert). The meal was promptly served and such a pretty sight for the eyes. I just loved the perfect color. I know the curry must be good as everyone is raving about it, but I didn't know that it would be so goood. I never thought that I would actually like it. It was thick but tasted so light and tasty that I could finish just the curry itself without even touching the rice. The light breaded chicken katsu was good, it was pretty tender and nicely fried. I was hesitating on whether or not to choose the omelette, but I glad I did as the egg was perfect. It was not overly cooked, a bit runny and smooth. Even mom, my lunch partner that day, who also not really into curry, admitted on how good their curry tasted.


I was not expecting too much on the additional salad and ice cream dessert, but they turned out to be good, especially the ice cream. The vanilla and strawberry flavors were just yummy, light and not creamy, and they put jelly and grapes on the bottom with a stick of chocolate wafer on the top.



My office used to be located in the building connected to Grand Indonesia, and since I quit my job, I rarely go to that mall, but now I've found a good reason to visit the place more often. I might still not a fan of curry, but I am a fan of Coco for sure.

Coco Ichibanya
Grand Indonesia Shopping Town
West Mall level 3A unit E0 01-1
Jl. MH Thamrin No.1
Jakarta
Ph. +6221 23580960

2 comments:

Ivan said...

Oh my, finally they opened. This is absolutely my favourite curry chains, i've been coco fans since i was in Shanghai. Anyway, any info if Jakarta chains served any pork?

Ivy said...

No, they don't serve pork ones here. Too bad :(